Renters


After buying our townhouse three and a bit years ago, and subsequently customizing it along the way, I never thought I would be talking about a rental ever again. But here we are, moving to an unknown city in two weeks, where we will find ourselves renters once again.

Our initial plan was to buy a house. I was looking forward to finding that perfect diamond in the rough, and giving it a massive makeover (I won't know anyone there, so might as well use all that spare time we'll have to spruce up a house!).

After careful thought and consideration, it just makes so much more sense to rent first. Considering the first time we will ever step foot in this city and province will be the day we move there, it would be so hard to know which area we want to live in, where my job will be located, and where our future friends will congregate. By renting first, we can get a lay of the land and narrow down what it is exactly we'd like in a home and a community.

But first, I will have to adjust back to the restrictions of tenancy. Thankfully, we found a beautiful  brand new home to rent (which, believe me, is a task in itself - rentals (nice rentals) are EXTREMELY hard to come by in the Peg). Because it's shiny and new, and rather turn key, I won't be doing too much to it (I'd rather save my resources and time for a home we'll be staying in), but I do want to decorate and figure out ways to make it more "ours".

I am already compiling ideas that will bring some life into our rental house without having to bring out a paint brush. I a loving this idea from the Ikea catalogue, but with a different fabric.


I am also loving the Solutions for Renters series on Centsational Girl. So many great ideas I have to consider!

Are any of your renters, or have any good ideas to help inject some temporary personality into our home?


Comments

  1. That's great! You'll be happy to know we (Winnipeg) has an Ikea, Dollarama /dollar stores... You should be set.
    I can't wait to see you transform you new home.
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO excited to be close to those stores! I will likely be there everyday!

      Delete
  2. That's fantastic that you were able to find a great rental! Rentals are definitely hard to come by around the city. I work on mortgages here in Winnipeg and it's just as hard to find homes for sale too. Can't wait to see what decor ideas you come up with, our condo rental could use some revamping too :)
    Good luck on your move!!

    -Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very shocked at the housing and rental market there - it was definitely a shock to me based on what I assumed it would be like over Vancouver. But we are very happy to have found a great place!

      Delete
  3. Have you heard about removable wallpaper?? I haven't tried it myself, but I'm super intrigued by the potential.. perhaps warrants looking into?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely intriguing, but not so cheap. If we are only there a year, may not be worth the investment, but I've been thinking of some DIY options!

      Delete
  4. I can't believe this is all happening so fast... you guys are so brave!! Hope you feel at home quickly :) Can't wait to see your new place!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is happening SO fast I can barely come to terms with it! Ahhhhhhh!

      Delete
  5. I agree. Get your bearings first before jumping into buying something. I'm not a renter but have you checked out this blog??? AMAZING IDEAS. http://sarahmdorseydesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, AMAZING! I think I could waste a week just looking at all of them!

      Delete
  6. Hi Jen,

    Just wanted to say Welcome to Winnipeg! It's a great place to live where you'll instantly feel like part of the city. Plus our summers are super nice, so perfect time to move!

    I'm a new reader of the blog, and I can't get enough. Such good ideas and I love how you do your own thing.
    I've just recently bought my first home with the mister and we move in at the end of July. You've inspired me with your sporadic posts to start my own blog about the adventures that come with being young and a home owner (plus that first post of yours saying you need motivation to actually get things done is right up my alley). I'm all talk and never get anything done. Hopefully, with your blog continuing to inspire me, I'll start doing the things I've always talked about, same as when you started, to what you are now!

    Thanks so much!
    Happy move!!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natalie! I've heard great things about the people and the summers, so we're excited!

      And glad you could find some inspiration on this lil blog o mine. Hopefully I can continue to do so in the new house! And let me know when you start your blog- I will definitely be reader!

      xo
      Jen

      Delete
  7. My suggestion would be to focus on the furniture. If you want to buy new things or personalize a space, start investing in furniture that you'll want for a long time. :) We like the house we live in right now, but we know it's not our "forever" home, and that's what I look at it when I want to change things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Jenessa! I can;t bare to spend money on something that won't be utilized in our future home!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comment! You made my day :)

Popular Posts